On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Preben Randhol wrote:

> "Thomas E. Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 23/01/2002 (20:31) :
> > tsk, tsk (you should go back and read the paragraph to which you
> > responded)
>
> Yes I have done it 3 times and I don't understand your point. If you
> could please be more clear when you post comments it would be nice.
> There were no questions in that paragraph.
>
> > I've been told (more than once) that screen readers are line-oriented.
> > They don't handle two-dimension layout of the sort that people tend to
> > contrive when attempting to use html as a layout description.
>
> Can they handle javascript?

According to some webpages, JAWS and a few other applications will read
hidden text, including some inferences about JavaScript.  But a quick
search doesn't say that in so many words - it's not 100% clear: my
impression is that they're acting as the browser.  The screen readers
appear to just render whatever text is put onto the screen.  But that's a
static view - doesn't account for things moving around or being presented
out of order.  So I expect that the request was for something that could
handle that situation, by directing the screen reader's focus to the newly
presented text.  None of lynx/w3m/links do that.  (Let's leave netrix out
of the discussion ;-)

--
T.E.Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://invisible-island.net