One thing that I've always missed since I switched from pine to mutt
was pine's more verbose e-mail notification. Instead of just saying
"New mail in this mailbox." it would say something like:

      [New mail from Philip Mak re New mail notification ideas]

Also, pine checks for new mail when it is in the pager. In mutt's
case, it doesn't, so if I stay inside the pager for hours then I won't
see any new messages.

I would like to suggest that these features (verbose new e-mail
notification line, and check for new mail while in the pager) be
implemented in mutt.