There have been various comments here by people attempting to move from the
1.2.x tree to the 1.3.x tree about the new iconv requirement, and the fact
that the --without-libiconv option documented in INSTALL does not actually
work.

Lars Hecking posted the attached message & patch to mutt-dev as part of an
attempt to get this resolved by 1.4, but it needs testing.  I'm reposting
it here so it can hopefully get some more, since most of the -dev crowd
already resolved this by having a good enough iconv locally.

If you have problems or comments related to this patch please post them
back to mutt-dev.
--- Begin Message ---

 See attached.

 Warning: this is a HACK, no matter how ingeniously executed. It allows to
 compile mutt-1.3.27 without iconv support, and it does just that. I cannot
 guarantee and haven't tested that a patched mutt performs correctly in every
 respect, only made it compile.

 These changes should go into cvs/distribution, they are independent of
 the rest:

 * charset.c, gnupgparse.c, rfc2047.c: don't #include <iconv.h>, charset.h
   already does it

 * init.h: conditionalise iconv-hook for HAVE_ICONV (fair enough, no?)

 These changes should no go into cvs/distribution, on account of being
 an untested hack:

 * charset.h: conditionalise <iconv.h> inclusion for HAVE_ICONV_H;
   add iconv_t definition, and prototypes for iconv_open(), iconv()
   iconv_close() if there is no system iconv(); mutt's iconv functions already
   have fallbacks if no system iconv is available, but we still need the
   prototypes/typedef to get everything compiled in the first place

 * configure.in: add check for iconv.h; add check for iconv_t; emit a warning
   rather than an error if iconv is not found

 * sendlib.c: let convert_file_to() always fail with -1 if iconv() is not
   available

 * m4/iconv.m4: change --with-libiconv-prefix=DIR to --with-iconv[=DIR] and
   check for "no"; this makes configure compatible to INSTALL :)

   Caveat: this change makes MUTT_AM_ICONV totally incompatible with (but also
   better than ;) AM_ICONV. That's the main reason I don't want this in cvs or
   distribution, I would like to see the generic AM_ICONV changed to do
   something useful.

 No auto* generated files included.