On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Cedric Duval wrote:
> Thomas Baker wrote:
> > Ah, I believe this assumes I am using Mutt under Linux/Unix, as I am
> > not aware of any Windows binaries for Procmail.
>
> I haven't tried myself, but you might give a look at Ulf Erikson's
> website (http://www.geocities.com/win32mutt/) especially the tools
> page.

There seem to be two basic approaches to porting such programs to
Win32: porting them as "native Win32" (using msvcrt.dll) and porting
them for use over an emulation layer, such as Cygwin or David Korn's
equivalent.  Ulf's port is in the "native" tradition, but he seems to
say on his page that the Cygwin napproach is more comprehensive.

I have already tried out the Cygwin approach and have the impression
that it could be made to work quite well, but it does require (as the
Unixmail Readme.txt explicitly warns) considerable tweaking, and I am
not a programmer.

For now, then, I have been persuaded that the path of least resistance
will be to install VMWare for Windows, then install Linux within
VMWare, as the Linux distributions already include most of the things
one would have to scratch together from Web sites here and there for an
equivalent setup under Cygwin or native Win32.

I would be grateful for any warnings to the contrary.

Tom

----
Dr. Thomas Baker                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Birlinghoven Library, Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft           mobile +49-171-408-5784
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven                     work +49-30-8109-9027
53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany                              fax +49-2241-14-2619