On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 03:36:57PM -0500, David T-G wrote:
> Daniel --
>
> ...and then Daniel Bye said...
> %
> % Hi all,
>
> Hello!
>

> %
> % Wonder if anyone can help?  I have scoured all the documentation I can find
>
> Well, I wasn't wondering before, but I kind of am now ;-)

Sorry, bad habit of mine - tend to omit pronouns in subject position...

> % on the web, people's published .muttrc's, etc, but can still not find out how
> % to do what I want, or if it is even possible...
>
> While it's certainly possible, mutt doesn't pay attention to those
> headers but instead uses a flag header.  I do it with this snippet in
> my procmailrc reformatting section
>
>   # high priority recognition for mutt
>   :0 f :
>   * ^importance: high|^priority: urgent
>   | $FORMAIL -I "X-Status: F"

Yeah, I know mutt doesn't take any notice (I have color rules that search in
the headers for the two lines mentioned below, so I can see messages from Out-
look users flagged as important).

What I was after was a way of fooling Outlook into printing those lovely little
icons against any important message I send from mutt - I have found that the
word "IMPORTANT!" at the beginning of the subject line doesn't always do it
for Outlookers, and I seem to spend a _lot_ of time sending mail to folks using
Outlook.

> and then this bit in my muttrc
>
>   mono index standout ~F      # reverse index entry for flagged (hi-pri)
>
> from very ancient days, but it works for me.
>

> %
> % Can I insert headers into a message using a macro?  Specifically, I want to be
> % able to mimic the MS Outlook message importance tags, which insert two headers:
> %
>
> Interesting.  I thought it was

It may well be for any well-behaved mail client, but I don't think I have to
talk about Microsoft's disciplinary record!  ;-)

> but I haven't looked it up in a while.
>

> %
> % Any suggestions or pointers where to find details would be very welcome.
>
> If you have edit_headers turned on, then you can just insert those
> headers while editing your message and away you go.  Thus, if you don't
> usually edit headers, one possibility is to have a macro that turns on
> edit_headers, edits the message, and then turns off edit_headers when the
> editor exits.
>
> Another possibility is to just use my_hdr to set them, but you'll have to
> umny_hdr them *after* you've sent the message.  If I were to go this
> route I'd have a send-hook that by default turns them off and then a
> macro which turns them on; just finish editing your message, hit your
> desired macro stroke (it looks, upon a quick glance, as though ^U and ^P
> are available), and then send the message on its way.

This sounds like a good jumping-off point, thanks.

> %
> % Thanks all,
>
> HTH & HAND
>

> %
> % Dan
>

> :-D
> --
> David T-G                      * It's easier to fight for one's principles
> (play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie
> (work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.justpickone.org/davidtg/    Shpx gur Pbzzhavpngvbaf Qrprapl Npg!

Dan