26-Mar-02 at 19:26, Matthias Weiss ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote :
> > Since the mails go to separate accounts anyway, why not fetch the mail to
> > two separate folders, and configure mutt to read both?
>
> What do I gain from this when I have 3 mailing list on one and another 4 lists
> on the other account?

1) OK, so fetch the mail to 7 separate folders, a lot of people on the list
swear by procmail, which will grab whatever fetchmail brings and filter it
to your heart's content.

> > > I'd like mutt to check whether a mail came from a mailing
> > > list and display only those mail at ones that belong to
> > > the same mailing list. I'd then want to switch between
> > > the list with some key command.
> >
> > You can acheive this, although I personally prefer sorting and threading
> > to make this less configuration specific.
>
> Don't understand what you mean. *HOW* can I achieve this?

If you do (1), then you just switch folders with 'c'. If you don't (like
me, I keep everything remote and unsorted because I haven't automated 100%
yet, or perhaps because part of me is still a philistine). So, I use
sorting by threads, which Mutt handles rather nicely, and this allows me
to see, reasonably easily, which list has which thread, since threads
don't usually cross lists.

> > > When I end my mutt session I'd want mutt to store the
> > > read mails in seperate mail boxes, each for every mailing
> > > list I'm subscribed.
> >
> > You can do this with save hooks, but you'll have to manually save after
> > reading.
>
> you mean I have to save manually every mail??? 8-|

Only if you refuse to do (1) or can't. Mutt is not a mail filter, but you
can hack it to do basic filtering, but that's not what it's for and it
won't do it neatly or correctly.

> > > Those remaining mails that don't belong to a mailing list should be
> > > moved to a general list.
> >
> > Move them to a readmail folder, for example, this can be done.
>
> How?

s<cr> =readmail<cr> $

something like that.

> I'm getting approx. 130 mails every day, so this *IS* important for me.
> Maybe I can do something with my mta (postfix) to splitt the mails up
> into several inboxes. Don't know why, but I always thought this is
> the job of my mailclient.

Send the output of Postfix to procmail, if you're receiving direct.
Procmail will do the business.

> Well, I actually don't care what part of the mail system is doing the
job. I want > to have a solution that helps me handling this amount of
everyday mails.

Well then get into the tools above. Mutt doesn't do everything.... it
isn't supposed to.

> I know that being not a member of a list and mailing to it is bad habit,
> nevertheless I hope you excuse it, one more mailing list and I drown in
> mails, sorry!

Sorry, you'll have to search the archive this time anyway. Who said that
the path to enlightenment is not easy?

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. [EMAIL PROTECTED] GIMPS:56.54% see www.mersenne.org]
Hofstadter's Law states that projects take longer than expected, even when