begin  quoting what David T-G said on Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 07:55:08AM -0500:

> % has been changed so that application/pgp is no longer used (although
> % there's an x-mutt-action=pgp-sign flag in the content/type so that mutt
> % knows it's signed).  those changes are from Thomas Roessler.
>
> I was unaware that it was broken.  Can you (or someone) tell us whether
> this functionality is in 1.3.28?

Only with a patch.  Although I'm using a patch that causes the same
behavior, IMHO, core Mutt shouldn't.  It should be configurable whether
you'll use application/pgp or not, because there's an RFC in question
here.  OpenPGP specifies application/pgp, but that breaks some MUAs that
don't follow the OpenPGP RFC.

The usual workaround is text/plain, but that needs to be user-configurable
so that people who WANT to use OpenPGP (I don't, I either use text/plain
or PGP/MIME) can.

As I said, one of the patches for that just makes it text/plain always,
and another makes it configurable.  I'm using the former by choice.