On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 07:29:06AM -0800, David Ellement wrote:
> On 020331, at 16:23:09, James Greenwood wrote
> > However the problem is still there - on the mailbox I tried,
> > pine still sees 102 messages and mutt sees only 3.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
>
> Perhaps formail could reformat the mailbox:
>
>     formail -d <oldmbox >newmbox

Thanks David - I tried that, it increased the number of visible
messages from 3 to 14, but all the extra ones were actually
attachments to other messages, not real messages themselves.

However I think I've managed to fix the problem !!!
I don't know if there's a bug in mutt though.

I looked more carefully at the From lines of the messages
it was picking up compared to those it wasn't, and in the
ones mutt can see, the sender is an e-mail address, e.g. :

        From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tue Oct 16 12:48:57 2001

whereas in the messages mutt is ignoring, it is a name, e.g.:

        From Bruce Smith Wed Oct 17 17:08:13 2001

and just removing the space like this solves the problem:

        From BruceSmith Wed Oct 17 17:08:13 2001

The names with spaces are obviously related to the fact that
the e-mails came from Microsoft Outlook folders originally.

I don't know enough about the mailbox format to know whether
this is a bug in mutt, or a bug in the LibDBX program I used
to translate the Outlook files into mailbox format.

If no-one can answer that off the top of their head I'll read
some docs/ RFCs I guess, and perhaps make a bug report to the
approrpiate person.

Anyway my problem should be easy enough to fix now - I can
feel a regular expression coming on...

Thanks a lot for your help everyone.
James

--