Hi,

> > when I don't access that one folder for a while, and I switch to it
> > (with a macro), I get an error "connection closed" and an empty index.
> > the only thing I could find that would fix this is to quit mutt and
> > start it again - a new connection will then be established.
>
> Check out $imap_keepalive

This, and the other suggestions, don't work if, say your connection drops.
I use mutt patched with vvv-nntp (I know not now - I'm on holiday on a
strange computer), and if the NNTP connection gets closed it asks if you
want to reconnect, and then continues where it left off - perhaps IMAP can
be patched to do the same.

Luke