* John P Verel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-04-09 21:41 -0400]:
> This may be an FAQ, but I couldn't come up with it.
>
> I have substantial *.pst files from Microsoft Outlook from work which
> I want to convert to mbox format.  Any pointers on this will be
> gratefully appreciated.

I've done that recently. I used Mozilla on Windows to import the PST
files. Then hunted down where Mozilla actually has his files.
c:/Documents and Settings/..../AppData/Mozilla or similar it was in my
case. Mozilla saves its mails in a mbox format. However, in a peculiar
one with Windows line endings, so you have to get rid of the CR for
example using tr. Voila the converted mbox files.

In my case it was even worse, because my final aim was not mbox, but
uploading the files on my imap server, then filtering them there using
my procmail setup. In theory, this would work with formail/procmail, but
in practise, I gave up after an hour or two. What I finally did was
opening the mbox file in mutt, tag all messages and bounce them to my
account on the imap machine. Bouncing 1700 messages to it and filtering
them thru procmail gave my server a major workout :-)

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930