[My apologies if this reply appears twice.  It's been an hour and a half
since I sent it the first time, the list never takes that long, and our
company e-mail system has been having problems recently.]

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 05:23:37PM +0100, John Poltorak wrote:
> I keep trying to unsubscribe an old email address which gets redirected to
> me but it never succeeds as it needs the list owner's approval which never
> seems to be granted.
>
> How do I get this old subscriber address dropped?
>
> I'm currently getting two copies of every msg to the list and have been
> doing so for a few months.

Some list servers use the From address in the _envelope_ to determine
the sender's identity.  If that doesn't match the address your are
trying to unsubscribe, the list server will reject the request.  I know
at least one of the list servers I subscribe to works that way, but I
don't remember if the mutt-users list server does.

To get around this, you can

    set use_from

and set your 'From:' address to your old subscriber address when you
send your unsubscribe request.

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   | Spokane, Washington, USA