On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Maximilian Szengel wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 09:46:30AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 01:41:55PM +0200, Maximilian Szengel wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >  I've just edited my mutt colors to have a white background. (color
> > >  normal black white etc.) I am using aterm and when I call mutt with the
> > >  white background setting it looks awful, not white. Have a look at the
> > >  screenshot [1]. I tried it with rxvt and it looks the same. Am I doing
> > >  something wrong? Maybe it's not mutt's fault, then just ignore this
> > >  post and I am going to find help somewhere else.
> > >
> > > 1. http://che23.de/mutt_aterm.jpg
> >
> > That looks like you're using ncurses 5.2 with the experimental $COLORTERM
> > support (it doesn't work for bright backgrounds).
>
>  Well, I had libncursesw5[-dev] installed (debian-woody). But when I
>  remove it mutt's color behavior does not change. Do you have any tip,
>  how I can correct this?

A quick way to verify if my guess is correct (and work around) is to unset
the COLORFGBG environment variable.  ($COLORFGBG is sort of
$COLORTERM/version-2 ;-)

Basically what happens is that it's specifying a background color 15,
while the terminfo says there's only 8 colors.  (I considered adding
a special case for this, but decided that the proper solution would be
to use an appropriate terminfo).

--
T.E.Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://invisible-island.net