On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 12:25:33PM -0400, John P Verel wrote:
| On 07/12/02 22:53 -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| >
| > I notice some really odd behavior in mutt.  I have it set up with some
| > folder-hooks to sort by threads in all my mailing list folders.  This
| > works fine, _except_ for one particular list *iff* I don't have the
| > line
| >     folder-hook lists.* "<collapse-all>" # collapse all threads
| > in my .muttrc.  (remove that line, and the spamassassin list is not
| > threaded, put it in and it is).  What can I look for to determine why
| > all but the one list are properly threaded without that line?
|
| I've found that folder hooks are sensitive to the order they are
| executed.

Yes, that's as documented.  That gives you control over the precedence
of commands.

| I'm not quite certain if this addresses your question, but here's
| what I've got in my ~/.muttrc:

| # NOTE:  Need to set specific mailbox hook BEFORE setting default.
|
| See my note to myself above.  I found that I needed to set all the
| folders where I wanted the non default behavior, e.g. folder-hook .
| BEFORE the default is set.  Otherwise, it didn't work.

I do have a default hook, and it is first.  I want it that way so that
the specific ones override it (setting $index_format, and also $sort).

So I went through all my folder-hooks again ... DOH!
The relevant part is like this (the "bad" folder is 'lists/spamassassin')
    folder-hook lists.* set sort=threads
    folder-hook spam    set sort=subject

Well, duh, mutt did exactly what I told it to, just not what I _meant_
to tell it to :-).  Hmm, I also noticed that when I put the
(erroneous) "<collapse-all>" back in, the "push <Esc>V" didn't work
any more (thanks to both of you for that tip!).  Apparently mutt stops
processing folder hooks when an error is encountered, thus it
short-circuited the sorting by subject for the SA folder.

I just fixed it by prepending the spam rule with "junk/.*" since it is
a subdirectory of =junk.

-D

--
But As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.
        Joshua 24:15

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/