Under :help comments there is this:

'comments' 'com'        string  (default "s1:/*,mb:*,ex:*/,://,b:#,:%,:XCOMM,n:>,fb:-")
                        local to buffer
                        {not in Vi}
                        {not available when compiled without the
                        |+comments|
                        feature}
        A comma separated list of strings that can start a comment line.
        See |format-comments|.  See |option-backslash| about using
        backslashes to insert a space.

If you have access to Steve Oualline's Book in Vim, he goes through
examples of using the comments option to define what is a comment.  He
gives an example:

s1:/*,mb:*,ex:*/

and says of it:

"The s1 command indicates that this is the start of a three-part comment
(s) and the other lines in the command need to be indented an extra
space (1).  The comment starts with the string /*.

The middle of the comment is defined by the mb:* part.  The m indicates
a middle piece, and the b says that a blank must follow anything that is
inserted.  The text that begins the comment is *.

The ending is specified by ex:*/.  The e indicates the end, and the x
indicates that you have only to type the last character of the ending to
finish the comment.  The end delimiter is */."  (Oualline, page 271).

I have not worked with this feature, but hope this reference is helpful.

John