Paul, et al --

...and then Paul Brannan said...
%
% On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 07:49:40PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
% > Top posting sends the message "I am so much more important than all
% > Bottom posting says "I respect the others on this list and I will take a
%
% I disagree.  While bottom posting is appropriate for most public forums
% (because discussions on these forums generally involve a point-by-point
% debate), there is a valid use for top posting.  In particular, if
% someone sends you a long email (and it is necessary and/or appropriate
% to quote the email or a large portion of it), then replying at the top
% saves the reader the time of scrolling to the bottom to find the reply.

I tried so hard to stay out of this debate... *sigh*  I'm not terribly
good at being politely objective; there's a lot of Dogbert in me, too.

If you can get what you need from the reply at the top, then why on earth
do you need to send back the original anyway?  Someone sent it and you
got it, so everyone has it, and then you send your single reply that
doesn't have to be associated contextually so just don't send the quote.

%
% BTW, why did this post show up in my inbox rather than in my mutt

As far as I can tell, Bo's direct reply was also BCCd to mutt-users.  The
message passed thru the server but it wasn't publicly addressed to the
list.  I'm not even going to begin to wonder why; that's a whole new can
of worms.  Of course, without any list addressing, List-Reply and the
like can't know that you mean for a reply to go back to a mailing list
and act accordingly.

HTH & HAND

:-D
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]