* Dave Price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-09-18 08:23]:
> Is there a way to tweak the way mutt lauches vi to get these features
> to run  in a 'vimmish' way?

To what is $editor set?  If it is set to 'vi', then you might be getting
either vim in compatible mode, or not vim (i.e., the default vi on your
box).

> I am running debian woody - vim version 5.6.70.  If I just type vi
> from a command prompt on the same box, I get full vim;  .vimrc
> mappings and tab-expansion works fine.

Debian's default vi is elvis (or at least it was as of 2.2); "type vi" or
"which vi" will tell you what is executed when you type "vi".  Chances are
that it is not what mutt is executing, due to search path differences,
or shell functions/aliases, or something similar.  Under bash, "type vi"
will tell you if you are executing an alias or function, while "which
vi" does not; type might be supported by other shells as well, but I'm
unsure.

> It is only when mutt starts the editor that I seem to be in a 'vi
> compatability' mode.

vim has a :version command, which other vi clones don't seem to; vim
with cp set will still respond to :version, while elvis will not (well,
it will, but with an error ;).

(darren)

--
I'd crawl over an acre of 'Visual This++' and 'Integrated Development
That' to get to gcc, Emacs, and gdb.