At 17:54 -0400 30 Sep 2002, PeterKorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My mutt viewer shows:
>
> N^X¬µìm\212Ç^Z­¹^u¼¦ºÛÿ²ø\236ÁêÿZ^\ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ_^Aô^M;^D@u^LPúì^N¶^WÝE

The text/plain version of the message is specified as being sent base64
encoded, even though it actually isn't.  So mutt and evolution will do
base64 decoding on the actual text, resulting in garbage.

> The distribution was encoded by a Mozilla 4.76 mailer.
> There are 2 attachments. The second 1 was an html copy.
> Ximian Evolution reads it ok if the second attachment
> is present, but he garbles the text as well if I remove
> the html attachment. I guess Evolution just goes straight
> for the html rendering.

Yes, the proper thing to do is to display the bottom-most alternative
that can be displayed, so evolution just displays the html version which
isn't broken.

> Maybe the iso-8859-1 is just encoded improperly. Or maybe
> I have my linux character set stuff set up wrong.

This doesn't have anything to do with character sets or any setup issue.
Any mailer that generates a message like this (even if the operator
tries to do it) is severely broken.  It's also possible that the message
was generated correctly, but mangled in transit (the most likely place
for this to occur would be the virus scanner shown in the Received:
headers).

--
Aaron Schrab     [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.schrab.com/aaron/
 When you're dealing with like crazy aggressors like Libya or Iran or