On 2007.10.07 00:26:04 +0000, Jerry Walker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat  6 Oct 2007 16:04, Rem P Roberti wrote:
> > >
> > > Use "abook --convert .......". Try "abook --help" for more details.
> > >
> > Sorry to be dense about this, but how is "abook  --convert" invoked from
> > within Mutt?  Is this something that
> > has to be configured via .muttrc?
>
> Yep. You can bind a key to a macro that runs the appropriate command. For
> example I have
>
> macro generic <esc>a "<shell-escape>abook\n" "Run Abook"
>
> in my .muttrc to run abook from Mutt.

That works swell, Jerry, and I appreciate the newbie help.  Still, I have the
feeling that my original
question was not well put, so I will try it again.  It is very easy to create
an alias from a received
message just by using the "a" command.  This puts the new alias in my
.mail_aliases folder, which resides in my
home directory.  My understanding is that you can transfer selected aliases
from that folder to Abook, and
that process can be carried off from within Mutt itself.  Then you can just
prune the .mail_aliases folder for
whatever aliases are not to be kept permanently.  I'm sure that the solution to
this problem is a slam dunk
but, as I said, I suffer from the dreaded curse of the newbies.  Thanks again
for your help.

Rem