On 2007-12-09, Jamie Griffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I've read so many websites and the manuals to set up attachment
> viewing from mutt. I've got a .mutt/auto_view file and a
> .mutt/mailcap file with appropriate entries in it.
>
> The main problem i'm having is with ms applications - word is the
> one i've tried so far.

You didn't which web sites you had read, so if you haven't already,
take a look here:

   http://www.spocom.com/users/gjohnson/mutt/#mime
   http://www.spocom.com/users/gjohnson/mutt/#office

The methods explained there have worked well for me.  The rules I am
using now for "application/msword" are these in my mailcap file:

   application/msword; mutt_rem_bgrun openoffice.org-2.1 -view %s; test=RunningX
   application/msword; word2text %s; copiousoutput

and this in my muttrc:

   auto_view application/msword

The mutt_rem_bgrun script allows me to have mutt run on Solaris and
launch applications such as OpenOffice on Linux.

HTH,
Gary