On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 06:03:17PM +0100, Steve S wrote:
> I'm doing that too, with getmail and a cronjob.
>
> The problem is not that mail doesn't download to my machine, but that mutt, if
>
> * it is open all the time
> * showing the file browser (when invoked with `mutt -y`)
> * no key is pressed
>
> doesn't show the 'N' flag for folders (mailboxes) which have new mail after
> $timeout seconds as it should (it should, right? :). It does that only if I
>
> a) go to some mailbox and then back to the browser (which is the event "a key
>    is pressed" and mutt checks for new mail if I understand correctly)
>
> b) invoke the <check-new> function manually.

In connection to that problem, I discovered another thing with <check-new>.

Say I have three mailboxes listed in the browser

foo/
bar/
stuff/

and I have selected (with <up>, <down>) the foo/ box. Now, if all three boxes
have new mail and I call <check-new>, the 'N' flag appears only on the boxes
that are *not* selected (bar/, stuff/). However in the index for the foo/ box,
new mails are flagged correctly.

This could mean that I may miss an important mail I'm waiting for. So, before
invoking <check-new>, I have to select a mailbox which is not that important
which seems not very convenient.

s.