Hi,

* Kyle Wheeler wrote:

Well, without them, you can't use patterns like ~l or ~u. Also, without them, mutt doesn't set the Mail-Followup-To header properly (which helps avoid receiving duplicate responses due to people responding to "all" and thus sending to both the list and to you). Also, the %L pattern for the $index_format won't work properly, and the messages won't be properly labeled in the index (see $to_chars).

First, at least one mailing lists considers setting Mail-Followup-To headers to achieve exactly that (no duplicate messages) being "rude", e.g. http://marc.info/?l=git&m=121218565402351&w=2 though I consider that way of handling a mailing list "rude", too since they still time from me by forcing me to deal with duplicate messages.

Second, since mutt already knows about List-Post to reply to a list list even without a "subscribe" or "list" command, it should be taught how to detect mailing lists completely. That way only mailing lists without a given set of headers would require "list" commands. Though it still requires issuing "subscribe" commands as mutt cannot distinct between subscribed/unsubscribed lists easily (looking for Delivered-To: or the like would get too messy to work in general I guess).

Rocco