Kyle Wheeler wrote:
On Wednesday, September  3 at 10:59 PM, quoth David Champion:
On Wednesday, September  3 at 10:54 PM, quoth Peter Davis:
Usually, the person responds to the "who are you?" message leaving the message body intact. So I want to have something embedded in the "who are you?" message that can point my script back to the original "so-and-so wants to join" message from Yahoo!, so I can reply to that.
How about just a long random number?
This works, but you'd need to store the valid random number someplace.

It occurs to me that you could also include the original Message-ID as the "random number".

Sorry I wasn't clear. I don't want a random number. I want to find the message that Yahoo! sent to me, notifying me that someone wants to join, so that I can reply to that message to approve the membership. For example:

Msg 1: Yahoo! to me: "So-and-so wants to join list X."
Msg 2: Me to So-and-so: "Who are you? (cf. msg 1)"
Msg 3: So-and-so to me: "I'm So-and-so.\n> Who are you (cf. msg 1)"
Msg 4: Reply to msg 1 to approve membership.

Is there a fast way to find a message with a given Message-ID? If so, that would work.

Thanks!
-pd

--
--------