On 2008-09-25, Lin Tan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > No, it doesn't.  At least not in my experience.  Are you observing
> > this in mail that you send from mutt, or in mail that you read using
> > mutt?  What are you doing when you observe spaces where you think
> > there should be tabs?
> >

> I used command "mutt [EMAIL PROTECTED] < patch" to send myself an email.
> And then I used mutt "v" and "s" command to save it as a file, say
> patch.saved.
>
> I noticed that all the tabs in file "patch" are replaced by blanks
> in "patch.saved". I tested that the "patch" can be applied
> correctly but the "patch.saved" can not. Then I manually replaced
> all the blanks in "patch.saved" with tabs, and then it can be
> applied without an error.
>
> my muttrc file is only a few lines:
>
> set send_charset="us-ascii:utf-8"
>
> set editor="vi"
>
> set spoolfile=imaps://[EMAIL PROTECTED]:993/INBOX
> set folder=imaps://[EMAIL PROTECTED]:993
>
> # Default From:
> my_hdr From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks for the clear description.  I can't argue with your
observations.  I can't replicate them with my setup, though.  I
created a file containing a paragraph of text indented by tabs and
mailed it to myself as you did with your patch.  I saved the
received message using "v" and "s", also as you did.  The tabs were
still there.

I also saved the message to a new mbox folder, "test_folder", using
"s" in the index view, and verified that the tabs were still there.
Then I quit that mutt and started a new one like this:

   mutt -F /dev/null -f test_folder

I executed all the configuration commands you listed above.  Then I
saved the message again using "v" and "s".  The tabs are still
there.

I'm using mutt 1.5.17.

I'm afraid I can't help.  Maybe someone else on the list can
replicate this and/or explain what's going on.

Regards,
Gary