On Friday, December 12 at 07:30 AM, quoth Noah Sheppard:
> I'm using this to set up some mail archiving. Here's what I tried
> first:
>
> set my_archdir="/mnt/data/storage/mail/boxes" #the path to the directory
> which will contain my archive dirs
> macro index,pager S "<save-message>$my_archdir/^<enter>"

If I recall correctly, mutt's "magic" characters only work when
they're the *first* character in the folder name. Think of them as
behaving similar to the way that ~ behaves in the shell.

> folder-hook . set my_curdir="^"

That doesn't work because mutt doesn't consider random variable
assignments as mailbox path names, and so doesn't attempt to expand
mailbox path shortcuts in them.

> That said, even when I run 'set my_curdir="^"' in mutt after muttrc
> has been read, my_curdir is still empty.

Really? When I do it, my_curdir becomes "^". Test it like this:

     set ?my_curdir

Your macro has an additional problem: it wouldn't work even if
my_curdir WAS correctly being set! You see, variable expansion is
evaluated at the time the macro is established! To delay variable
expansion until the macro is *triggered*, you'd have to escape the
variable. For example, consider how this works:

     set my_archdir=/foo
     macro index,pager S "<save-message>$my_archdir<enter>"
     set my_archdir=/bar

When you trigger the macro, where you you expect it to be saved? If
you guessed "/foo", you'd be right, because variable expansion
happened when the macro was established. If you want the variable to
be re-interpreted every the macro is triggered, you'd have to do this:

     macro index,pager S "<save-message>\$my_archdir<enter>"

> If 'set record="^"' works to get the current folder name, why
> doesn't it work to put the current folder name in a user variable,

That's because mutt expects $record will be a mailbox path name, and
so expands mailbox path shortcut characters in it. However, things
like $my_curdir are treated the same way variables like $signature are
treated: as arbitrary strings.

> If not, how does one get the current folder name in a variable which
> can be used in various places?

Well, technically, if you set $record to ^, you can use that. That's
not exactly *convenient*, since $record has a primary function, I know
that, but... As far as I know, there isn't a really *good* way to do
what you're looking for (at the moment).

~Kyle
- --
Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing
your temper.
                                                        -- Robert Frost