Hi,

* Chris Jones wrote:

I clearly am clueless as to how mutt's parser operates .. but where's
the empty string?

The manual clearly states that the first line of the output is
interpreted as a muttrc command. That's the empty string in your case.

Do you mean that once `ls > /tmp/ls` is executed there is nothing left
since the output of the command is redirected to a file?

Yes.

How is that different from an empty line in the .muttrc?

An empty line in .muttrc is filtered out before mutt looks for a known
command.

Also, since the underscore is a pain to type, I had initially entered:

   'set myjunk=`ls > /tmp/ls`

And that gave me a different error message when I restared mutt: 'line
111: myjunk: unknown variable'.. and in this case, the contents of
/tmp/ls were _not_ modified.

Here, it first tries to resolve $myjunk and then what its value is.

Does mutt's config file syntax actually require that user variable names
contain an underscore?

Or is it that there is something special about the "my_junk" variable?

Yes, please see the manual for user-defined variables.

Rocco