I'm a long time Linux user (RedHad, Slackware), and last year when the new
iMac with OSX 10.5 came out, I couldn't resist -- but with a lot of
trepidation.

My worries were completely unfounded.  True, some things work differently
than what you may be used to.  You'll have to find those yourself.  The
following goes beyond your question, but maybe you'll find it useful.

In my case, after doing a lot of googling, I immediately installed both
Fink and MacPorts in order to "get some things I was used to".  Turned out
to be unnecessary (at least for me), and eventually, I got rid of them
both, completely. The console things I wanted that weren't included, I
compiled using the built in tools with no problem.  The GUI things I
wanted, I was able to find Mac versions of.  Except Ghostscript.  Haven't
found a postscript reader (free) for OS X.  But I just got used to the
builtin ps to pdf converter.  I had trouble finding a decent (free)
newsreader, but finally settled on OSXnews 2.081.  It has some issues, but
generally works pretty well (http://OSXnews.sf.net).  I would advise
holding off on Fink and MacPorts unless you find they are absolutely
necessary.

Another thing -- I thought I'd be using the built-in X-windows a lot.
Eventually decided it was a pain in the neck (although it works pretty
well, except for not using some of the native mac capabilities and look --
and cluttering up the toolbar).  The things I really wanted a gui for were
available in a mac-cocoa or carbon version.

Things to get:  First thing: get MacVim.  Uses the core vim but with a Mac
cocoa gui wrapper.  It's great.  http://code.google.com/p/macvim/.  I'm
using MacVim to write this email as the editor used by Mutt.  I compiled
mutt from source with no problem.

Another thing you might want to look into:  NeoOffice as the OpenOffice
version for OS X,  (I don't have the url handy, but it's easy to find).
There are a lot of choices for a web browser (and for text only browsers to
use with mutt.)  I used Firefox for quite a while, and while I like it's
plugins, it started starting an X which it seemed to not be using, and I
had to terminate by hand.  Strange.  I submitted a bug report, but got no
response.  I finally switched over to Camino (http://caminobrowser.org/).

And the final thing I'll mention: The XCode IDE, the Cocoa platform for
programming Mac applications, and Objective-C, the language used by Cocoa.
But that's another story.

Best,

John Velman