On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 01:14:04PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Friday, August  7 at 01:52 AM, quoth Erik Christiansen:
> Consider if you were instead changing the Subject header. For example:
>
>      send-hook '~C d...@example.com' 'my_hdr Subject: [dudemail]'

Munging that a bit, I seem to be able to achieve the desired "Reply-To:"
result, after removing all the folder-hooks which had been setting
it to be a list reply. Defaulting to a reply to self, each list
can then instead be covered with e.g.:

send-hook '~C xxx-l...@nongnu.org' 'my_hdr  Reply-To: xxx-l...@nongnu.org'

It's a lesson on how sometimes .muttrc benefits from pruning prior to
adding new growth.

> Ostensibly, the idea behind that hook is to provide a template
> subject-line for all mail sent to d...@example.com; but if send-hooks
> are only triggered AFTER the message is composed, that's basically
> useless. At the same time, what if you add "dude" to the recipients
> WHILE you edit the email - if the hook is only triggered BEFORE the
> message is composed, that's basically useless too!

That seems to be partly what send2-hook was intended to solve? However,
it didn't work for me, at least the way I tried to use it, and now I
have trialled a fix, using your example. So I'm a happy camper.

> Three thoughts:
>
>      1. lots of people use folder-hooks to set headers like that.
>         Personally, I dislike this idea, because I want mutt to
>         recognize list messages no matter where they happen to be
>         stored (otherwise, what's the point of the ~l matcher?). But
>         you could use it for this Reply-To purpose.

Thanks to procmail, list messages can be in any of only one places here,
so I had been using folder-hooks. It was just undoing the "Reply-To:"
setting on a non-list message which gave problems.

In the case of "Reply-To:", it finally dawned on me that it's easier to
match one List-Post address than a large set of non-list addresses.
Turning off my folder-hooks was then the biggest step forward.

>      2. You could also use a message-hook, that triggers when you
>         display the message, like this:
>
>         message-hook '~C list' 'my_hdr Reply-to: foo'
>
>         That is a little hack-like too, because it doesn't work from
>         the index, but combine this with a folder hook (for the index),
>         and you may be in business.

IIUC, this would add the header to the stored copy of the received
message. However, I had successfully been setting "Reply-To:" by
folder-hooks. It was the attempt to negate that on composing a
message which was defeating me.

>      3. You could use an $editor trick, like this (assuming you use
>         vim):
>
>         send-hook '~C list' 'set editor="vim '+%s/^Reply-To:/& foo/i'"

Many thanks for that vim gem too. I'll file it away for tweaking to do
something else when it crops up.

Erik