On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 04:35:46PM +0100, Arthur Dent wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 04:25:55PM +0100, Chris G wrote:

> > > I use Archivemail (http://archivemail.sourceforge.net/) to do exactly
> > > what you
> > > describe.
> > >
> > > It runs from a nightly cronjob and archives mail older than (in my case)
> > > 180
> > > days (roughly 6 months).
> > >
> > > I use mbox format - I'm not sure about maildir but it works just fine for
> > > me!
> > >
> > I looked at Archivemail but it only archives specified mailboxes
> > doesn't it, it won't run down through a hierarchy of mailboxes. My
> > hierarchy has 3293 mailboxes in it (even I didn't realise there are
> > *that* many until I looked!), I'm not going to archive that lot by
> > hand!
>
> Well I set it up so long ago (we're talking years!) that I've forgotten the
> details...
> This is my crontab entry: (mind the linewrap)
> 50 3 * * * archivemail -o ~/Mail/Archive/ ~/Mail/* ~/Mail/Malware/*
> ~/Mail/MLists/* ~/Mail/Admin/* ~/Mail/Misc/*
>
> Now as it happens none of those top level directories go down beyond 1 level,
> but each of them does have several sub-directories, each of which gets
> archived as expected.

I guess it's archiving all the folders/mailboxes that are addressed by
~/Mail/MLists/* and similar.  I suppose I could do something like that
because my hierarchy isn't all *that* deep.  I could even use things
like ~/Mail/*/* though I'm not sure if that wouldn't catch too much in
some cases.

--
Chris Green