> The problem with your using nano is you not being satisfied with it's
> formatting abilities.  So, a different editor or ??

First, thanks for the various remarks, and I'm sorry I was not always
clear.

The bottom line, however comes here. Nano apparently cannot refill a
block of marked text, and that was a formating ability I was hoping it
had.

> Your familiarity with emacs would probably make you happy with some form
> of:
>   set editor="emacsclient %s"

Actually, when I first migrated to mutt from RMAIL I used emacsclient,
but my unfamiliarity with mutt led to some frustration and when I
reinstalled Debian I left it at the default nano. Being unable to
refill blocks of text is not a show stopper for me in nano, but since
I'm more comfortable with emacs keybindings, I should probably head in
that direction.

Thanks again,

Haines