* Mun <mjeli...@gmail.com> [12-21-09 18:55]:

> Due to my own personality flaws I am planning on using Fetchmail
> (configured for IMAP use) to retrieve my e-mail from the Exchange server
> to my local Linux (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5) box.  The main reason for
> this is that I want a copy of all of my e-mail to reside on my own
> computer.

Must be a lot of us with "flaws"  :^)

> A couple of questions come to mind:
>
>    1) Is Fetchmail still in "vogue"?  Or is there a better application
>       that I should use to retrieve my e-mail?

I haven't used it for years, but it was *helpful* with my earlier setups.
I now just edit ~/.fetchmailrc by hand as there are few thing I do
differently.  There is rpm packages available for openSUSE that you might
try.  It should not be a problem as, iiuc, it is just a python script.  You
probably already have all the requirements present and can run the script
as a stand-a-lone from your home directory.

>    2) It appears that 'fetchmailconf' has been obsoleted.  That is, Red
>       Hat no longer provides it in there Fetchmail RPM.  Does anyone
>       know if there is a replacement?

I have seen none.