On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 04:39:53PM +0200, lee wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 11:09:22PM +0200, Rado S wrote:
> > =- lee wrote on Thu  1.Jul'10 at 18:08:43 +0200 -=
> >
> > > Noone using return reciepts?
> >
> > No, because if you want that, just write it in your eMail.
>
> That's awfully annoying and too easy to forget. It's a common feature
> in many MUAs, so mutt could as well support it --- or there could
> already be a solution.
>
> If there isn't, I might go ahead and write something for the
> purpose. But I don't want to re-invent the wheel unnecessarily.

If what you're talking about is the mechanism described in RFC 2298, then
a cursory glance indicates that read receipts are requested by setting
the Disposition-Notification-To: header. So to request receipts, it may
be sufficient to add this header to your outgoing emails using mutt's
my_hdr command.

As for automatically sending a read receipt when you open a mail in mutt,
I imagine it should be possible to cook something up using message-hooks
and a little scripting.

So, with a little effort, what you want can probably already be done
using standard mutt features (plus maybe some external tools for
automatically sending receipts).

If you're talking about server delivery receipt requests, I believe most
servers simply ignore these anyway. (Servers are almost always configured
to send failure reports, so the lack of a failure report indicates
successful delivery to the recipient's mailbox.)

> As to comments about the requests being ignored and therefore
> pointless: Sorry, but these comments are themselves pointless.

No, the comments were not pointless. Read receipts by definition have to
be implemented in the MUA in order to work at all. You cannot force your
recipients to use an MUA that implements them. Even if the MUA does
implement read receipts, you cannot force your recipients to choose to
send them. (Even RFC 2298 takes the unusual step of strongly recommending
that MUAs make sending of read receipts optional, and AFAIK this is
indeed the case in all MUAs that implement them.)

Read receipts are therefore inherently unreliable. The fact that you
haven't received one tells you nothing about whether your email has been
read or not. If you do receive one, it does at least tell you that the
recipient has opened the email. Whether they've actually read it is
another question entirely. In many mail clients, simply scrolling through
the message in a mailbox will mark it as read and trigger sending the
receipt.

So it's debatable whether read receipts are more or less useful than
simply asking the recipient to reply to let you know they've read your
message. At least that way, if you do receive a reply, you can be sure
they've actually read what you've written.

> It's a feature useful to me, and lacking better alternatives, I want to
> make use of it.

A number of people suggested a perfectly reasonable alternative: ask the
recipient to acknowledge that they've read your message. This is all that
a read receipt does, in any case. It doesn't in any way *compel* them to
acknowledge that they've read it. And a polite request in your message
has the advantage of working irrespective of which MUA your recipient is
using, as well as providing you with a much more useful and reliable
indication about whether the recipient has actually read your message.

> Unfortunately, mutt doesn't have this feature, so I'm asking what's
> available before putting my time into creating support for it myself.
>
> Besides, it's hard to believe that noone on this mailing list has use
> for return reciepts and/or that everyone handles them manually.

Read receipts raise troubling privacy concerns (the RFC acknowledges this
explicitly), and the kind of technically-savvy people who use mutt tend
to care deeply about privacy. It's not at all surprising to me that you
can't find any mutt users that want to use them. I always make sure I
disable them when forced to use a mail client that implements them.

Toby
--
Dr T. S. Cubitt
Quantum Information Theory group