> Nothing is showing in the maillog file, which makes me think that what
> ever is causing the error is happening before it gets that far.
>
> I have just restarted mutt with -d 5, alas even with this the total of
> what the debug log says is:
>
> ../send.c:977: mutt_mktemp returns "/tmp/mutt-pooh-1000-24862-3".
> ../sendlib.c:1987: mutt_mktemp returns "/tmp/mutt-pooh-1000-24862-4".
> Error sending message, child exited 127 (Exec error.).
>
> Which is not helpful.

if your mutt is using the sendmail binary to send from your system to either
relay through gmail or directly to the internet then i'd be very surprised if
there were no relevent entries in your maillog file.

also you should not need to set the $sendmail variable in your muttrc, the
default will take care of that. IFAIK, you would only need to set it if you're
using something like msmtp instead of a local MTA for example. and you wouldn't
have spaces when setting variables in your muttrc. your example should be: set
sendmail="/usr/sbin/sendmail -[... options]"

you could open another teminal, type tail -f /var/log/maillog (or where ever
your system's maillog file is located) and then try to send from mutt again.
you will be able to see more clearly what i happening in the maillog.