On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 06:50:26PM -0800, Brandon Sandrowicz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 11:35:07PM +0100, Francesco de Virgilio wrote:
> > - Ubuntu 10.10
> > - /home encrypted with ecryptfs
> > - /tmp is a directory clearly readable by anyone having access to my hard
> >   disk
> >
> > Question: when I decrypt a message sent to me using GPG, is it
> > immediately printed on the standard output (my shell) or is a _decrypted_
> > copy created in /tmp and deleted after closing the message?
>
> You could try setting $TMP or $TMPDIR (which mutt may or may not
> respect) to a directory like $HOME/tmp, which is already encrypted.

  There's also. for .muttrc:

        set tmpdir=~/tmp                # where to store temp files

At least I have that, it works, and mutt doesn't bitch at start time
about unknown config.

  In general I think it's a good idea to set TMP and TMPDIR to ~/tmp
anyway.  If you have a GOOD reason to want to have such on actual /tmp
(faster local disk instead of NFS disk?) then I'd recommend some shell
startup scripting to attempt to make /tmp/<user>/, and set TMPDIR to
that, bitching if it can't ensure it exists, is owned by you, and chmod
700.

--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / http://www.miggy.org/
                  Finger athan(at)fysh.org for PGP key