On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 06:43:28PM -0600, Puneet Kishor wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:58:07AM +0100, Richard wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:45:57PM -0600, Puneet Kishor wrote:
> > > Greetings. I am a very new user of mutt (and commandline MUAs in
> > > general). My question most likely reflects my lack of understanding of
> > > how mutt works, nevertheless --
> > >
> > > I use mutt to read email from two Gmail IMAP accounts, and I cache the
> > > headers on my disk in ~/.mutt/cache/hcache and message bodies in
> > > ~/.mutt/cache/bodies/.
> > >
> > > I have a few years of mail I downloaded via Apple Mail.app that are
> > > stored in ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/.mbox/Messages/ where is 2000 ..
> > > 2010. All these messages have .emlx extension. How do I transfer these
> > > messages to my mutt store so I can read and search them via mutt?
> >
> > you need an emlx to mbox (or maildir) converter, a quick google search
> > reveals
> > a large number of solutions of which I do not know any.
> >

> Thanks for the pointer. So, the first step is for me to find a suitable
> tool that will convert my .emlx messages to "mbox (or maildir)."
> Question -- what do I need here? mbox or maildir?

mutt handles both equally well, its a matter of personal preference.

> And, then what? My mutt cache is in ~/.mutt/cache/hcache (this is a
> file) and ~/mutt/cache/bodies/ (this is a directory with separate files,
> one file per message, not unlike the .emlx files for Mail.app. Is this
> the maildir format? Do I just copy the converted files from the first
> step above to ~/.mutt/cache? Seems like I need the headers separate from
> the bodies. Will mutt just build the header cache for the "imported"
> messages?

no, you would copy the mbox/maildir into ~/Mail and configure mutt
to use it as another separate folder, eg imported-mail.
Once there it might work to tag all messages and "save" them into the
IMAP folder or there may be many other methods to import old mail to
google but I would probably leave them in the imported-mail folder
and worry about that.

Richard

---
Name and OpenPGP keys available from pgp key servers