Thank you for your replies Gregor Zattler and Jostein Gogstad. I have followed Gregor's advice and moved all my emails into one folder, /data/mail. This is my current .muttrc: http://ompldr.org/vYXh6ZQ]http://ompldr.org/vYXh6ZQ. The current problem I am having is setting up mutt to my liking in terms of composing emails. This may not be a crucial problem, but I hope you don't mind helping me out all the same. On eudora and previous email clients I was able, albeit with some work, to get them to let me compose new emails with no 'From' information by default. This helped as it meant that I had to consider which account I should be sending emails from on an individual basis, hence less mistakes. However as you can probably see from my .muttrc I have been having trouble configuring this. Ideally I would like mutt to prompt for a from address every time I compose a new email, rather than having to use a macro which can properly function only once (subsequent attempts brings up a list of every alias entry). Also I note that currently my alternate addresses seem to have no function, as the index limiting macros have the addresses input as literal strings anyway. Any help would be appreciated :-) .