On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 11:25:28AM -0500, Tim Gray wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2011 at 02:55 PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> >So, does everyone here use abook, or nothing, or just have all their
> >E-Mail addresses in mutt aliases, or what?  Any suggestions would be
> >very welcome.
>
> This isn't going to be very useful to you since you are using Linux
> and I'm on OS X, but it might give you some ideas.  I use the OS X
> built in Address Book app.  It's got a goofy GUI, but now that Apple
> has released iCloud (for free!), my contacts sync wirelessly
> automatically between my phone, my computer, and Apple's iCloud web
> mail (not that I use that).  The syncing between my phone and
> computer are the big features for me.  It is also nice that it keeps
> track of physical addresses, phone numbers, IM names, etc - all of
> which my phone can utilize I might add.  Lastly, lot's of apps on OS
> X tap into the Address Book database, so having my contacts in there
> makes using OS X generally a nicer experience.

If I found something that could synchronize my (any) phone as well then
I'd be *very* happy!  :-)

> I also use lbdb in mutt.  There's a helper that queries the OS X
> address book, so I can run a query by hitting ^T and search the
> address book.  I have lbdb setup to also scrape addresses from
> outgoing messages and store them.  So when I run the ^T query, not
> only does it search the OS X address book, but it also checks the
> outgoing address list.  One could also run searches against LDAP if
> you desired.

lbdb is good to know about, thank you.  It means that I can choose
almost any program for my address book and can link it to mutt.

> I also use a simple mutt alias file for my most commonly used
> addresses where I want to define a nickname to use.  Like 'mom' or
> 'mike'.  I have many Mike's I correspond with, including both my
> brother and my boss.  You can imagine I send completely different
> types of correspondences to those two, so I want to make sure I have
> no mix ups.  I've defined 'mike' as my brother and 'boss' as my
> boss.
>
> The last bit of glue I use is a python script that dumps the OS X
> address book into mutt alias format.  This happens nightly via a
> cron job.  I do this so I can quickly use tab completion when typing
> in addresses and also to access the groups I have defined in the OS
> X address book.  This way I can define hooks in mutt based on those
> groups.
>
> It all sounds much more complicated than it actually is in use.
> When getting a new contact, I enter it in my phone if on the road,
> or add it to the Address Book app.  When composing emails, I start
> typing who I want to address an email to and hit tab.  If that alias
> doesn't come up either from my commonly used alias file or from the
> Address Book dump alias file, I hit ^T and query lbdb.

No, doesn't sound very complex, what I need is the equivalent of that
Address Book program you're using.

--
Chris Green