I recently set up my mutt to work via IMAP, and now I notice that for the
first five seconds after I open mutt, I get the "2 boxes w/new mail" (or,
sometimes, "1 boxes w/new mail) notification in the index status bar.

Then it disappears.

This occurs when there is no new mail in any of my mailboxes.

This mutt is being run from a NetBSD shell account that I access via ssh.

This is almost certainly related to the new IMAP setup (the admin of this
account only allows access to its mail server now via IMAP).

What could be causing this, how can I stop it?

Mutt 1.5.21 (2010-09-15)
Copyright (C) 1996-2009 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: NetBSD 5.1 (amd64)
slang: 10409
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-DEBUG
-HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +DL_STANDALONE  +USE_FCNTL
-USE_FLOCK
+USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_SMTP
+USE_SSL_OPENSSL  -USE_SSL_GNUTLS  -USE_SASL  -USE_GSS  +HAVE_GETADDRINFO
+HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  -HAVE_START_COLOR  -HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  -HAVE_BKGDSET
-HAVE_CURS_SET  -HAVE_META  -HAVE_RESIZETERM
+CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME
-CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME
-EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
+HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  -HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID  -USE_HCACHE
ISPELL="/usr/pkg/bin/ispell"
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/pkg/share/mutt"