On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 01:38:21PM -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 06:56:19PM -0500, Luis Mochan wrote:
> > I have used gmail from mutt occasionally using the attached rc
> > file. Today I decided to clean my gmail account, deleting some
> > messages and saving others in their corresponding folders under,
> > for example =here or =there (under imaps://imap.gmail.com:993/).
> > Things seemed to be working well. After saving each message, it
> > was marked as Deleted from my INBOX. My problem is that when I
> > expunged the messages from the INBOX, they also dissapeared from
> > the folder to which I had copied them!
>
> You're going to need to tell us the exact keystrokes you're pressing
> for us to be able to usefully comment.
If I remember correctly (I haven't reproduced the problem) I typed
s=mailbox<enter> to save a message,
$ to purge the message, which had been marked with a D, from the INBOX
c=mailbox<enter> to open the mailbox
and the message seems to have disappeared.

If I omit the $, the message does appear in its folder, but it also
appears in the INBOX with the 'D' mark. What I wanted is to clean the
inbox, although, as you mentioned, it may be unnecessary.

Actually, using the web interface, I found my messages in the Trash
with the labels corresponding to the 'mailboxes' I had used.

> I've had no problem whatsoever with just:
> s=Label<enter>
> But then I don't use labels with gmail very much at all because the
> search is so good; in fact I have "s" rebound to "save to all mail",
> which removes things from the inbox but does nothing else.
> Here's all my gmail-related stuff, with comments, in case it helps:
>
> ############
> # Gmail-related keyboard shortcuts
> ############
> # This allows going to space-containing folders
> bind editor <space> noop

Thanks!

So I still don't quite understand. After you do an immediate save or a
normal save with your configuration, what happens with the message? Is
it marked as deleted? Do you find it if you look for it after purging
it from the INBOX?

I guess that my problem is that I still don't quite get the relation
between adding and deleting labels and archiving in gmail, using its
web interface, and copying, saving and deleting messages in gmail using mutt.

Regards,
Luis

> # The trash variable doesn't exist in this version of mutt, so we
> # trash with delete; we also turn off pattern delete due to no "ask
> # for user input" command; just use the tag functions
> #
> # Note that saving to Trash immediately, forcefully, deletes the message from
> # the inbox; this causes a "Mailbox was externally modified.  Flags
> # may be wrong." message, and often causes the cursor to go
> # somewhere weird.  This does not seem to be fixable, although you
> # could add <last-entry> or something to these macros and at least
> # end up in a predictable place.
> #
> macro index,pager d "<save-message>=[Gmail]/Trash<enter>" "Gmail trash
> message"
> macro index,pager D noop
> macro index,pager ^D
> "<tag-thread><tag-prefix><save-message>=[Gmail]/Trash<enter>" "Gmail trash
> thread"
> macro index,pager <esc>d
> "<tag-subthread><tag-prefix><save-message>=[Gmail]/Trash<enter>" "Gmail trash
> thread"
>
> # Saving to Trash immediately, forcefully, deletes the message from
> # the inbox; this means undelete of all kinds is useless, you have
> # to go to the trash and save them to another label, or use the web
> # interface.
> macro index,pager u noop
> macro index,pager ^u noop
> macro index,pager <esc>u noop
>
> # I don't use labels basically ever, so by default save just means
> # "get it out of my inbox"
> macro index,pager s "<save-message>=[Gmail]/All Mail<enter>" "Remove from
> inbox/save to all mail"
> macro index,pager ,s "<save-message>" "Normal save"
> macro index,pager S "<save-message>" "Normal save"
>
> # Macros to go to common gmail labels.
> macro index,pager ,i "<change-folder>=INBOX<enter>" "Go to inbox"
> macro index,pager ,a "<change-folder>=[Gmail]/All Mail<enter>" "Go to all
> mail"
> macro index,pager ,s "<change-folder>=[Gmail]/Sent Mail<enter>" "Go to outbox"
> macro index,pager ,d "<change-folder>=[Gmail]/Drafts<enter>" "Go to drafts"
>
> -Robin
>
> --
> http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.
> .i ko na cpedu lo nu stidi vau loi jbopre .i danfu lu na go'i li'u .e
> lu go'i li'u .i ji'a go'i lu na'e go'i li'u .e lu go'i na'i li'u .e
> lu no'e go'i li'u .e lu to'e go'i li'u .e lu lo mamta be do cu sofybakni li'u

W. Luis Mochán,                      | tel:(52)(777)329-1734     /<(*)
Instituto de Ciencias Físicas, UNAM  | fax:(52)(777)317-5388     `>/   /\
Apdo. Postal 48-3, 62251             |                           (*)/\/  \
Cuernavaca, Morelos, México          | moc...@fis.unam.mx   /\_/\__/