Hi,

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:50:24AM -0500, Luis Mochan wrote:
> I used to have my password in the .muttrc file; bad mistake (I found
> out after mailing my rc file to this list). After introducing it
> manually for awhile, I wrote it in a small file with restricted
> permissions (set imap_pass='my_password')  which I source
> from the rc file (source ~/my/password/file). The password file is
> onle readable and writable by me. This setup is convenient, as I don't
> have to type my password every session, though that is not a big
> inconvenience.  Would this be considered unsafe?

You can surely do it this way. But, still, the file is in plaintext on
the filesystem, which may be an attack vector. It all depends on your
security needs. It would be a definitive no-go on a laptop with an
unencrypted harddisk (but that does not seem to be the case for the OP,
so it is off-topic here).

Bye,

Thomas