* M. Fioretti <mfiore...@nexaima.net> [10-03-12 11:55]:
> The point is that now the mailbox shows as empty in Mutt, but a
>
> find old_email -type f
>
> returns several hundreds of files, all valid email messages if the few
> ones I have looked into with "less" are representative.
>
> Right now I have no other MUAs on this box, as Mutt does everything I
> need :-), but I may install them of course if there is nothing else to
> try.
>
> I am looking for help and pointers on what to do next. What baffles me
> is that the "mailbox" was OK for Mutt, I moved around thousands of
> messages without problems. Why some of them don't show, and how could
> I "restore" them?

try opening the location where "old_email" is, specifically:
   mutt -f <specific-location>
   ie: mutt -f /home/user/mail/old_mail

if it works, in that instance of mutt, transfer/copy/save the files to a
new location you specify in mutt.

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member