* Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au> [121103 09:12]:
>   - anything else lands in my "UNKNOWN" folder; it is 99% spam
>     I always sort that folder on subject when I visit it;
>     it makes tossing it much easier because a lot of spam gets repeated
>     in big chunks

Cameron,

I thank you for the detailed reply; I still am digesting it, and I
hope very soon to begin using the method which you described.

But your reply provided and unexpected and immediate benefit: I have
used Mutt for years, but I never knew that the index could be sorted.
I learned how through a quick search with Google for "mutt sort
index", so now handling unknown mail is much easier.  Thanks!

RH