On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 09:57:50AM -0500, Mark H. Wood wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:14:25AM -0600, Jim Graham wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:45:01AM -0500, Peter Davis wrote:
> > > Bear in mind that this list, by it's very subject matter, self-selects
> > > for members who tend towards old school tools and technologies. Mutt
> > > users are obviously more likely to be strict about text-only,
> > > 72-column wrapped messages than users of, say, GMail.
> >
> > Ok, I've seen this enough times now that I have to ask....  What is it
> > about having a .gmail e-mail address that implies lack of proper
> > formatting for e-mail?
>
> I don't think it was about sending mail through a .gmail address; it
> was about using the GMail web thingy to compose the mail being sent,
> wasn't it?

Actually, it wasn't about GMail at all. It was about the fact that
millions of email users don't care about line wrapping, or text/plain,
or any of these other 40 year old conventions. The mutt-users group
just happens to represent the minuscule segment of the email
population that is still concerned about such things.

The "99%" are perfectly happy using email (primarily HTML, I suspect)
to communicate with one another.

-pd

----
The Tech Curmudgeon