On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 08:01:21AM +0000, James Griffin <jmz.grif...@kode5.net>
put forth the proposition:
--> David Woodfall <d...@dawoodfall.net> [2013-02-06 21:59:48 +0000]:

Is there a way of 1) Doing a 'limit' in the index, which shows only
folders with new mail, or 2) A file-mask that I can use to do the
same?

Man page and google didn't find anything, and I tried making a macro
for limit for the index but it didn't work.

Thanks

I see Andre has provided some of his own scripts and, they do look
interesting; I'll take a look too if that's ok.

But the index view is just that. It displays messages and info about
them for that mailbox; so no, you couldn't use the limit function for
showing mailboxes with new mail other than the buffy-list function.

In my default folder-hook I have this (borrowed from Rado's config which
is listed on the wiki under config tricks):

        folder-hook . \
        ... ;\
        macro index <tab> <buffy-list> ;\
        ... ;\
        '

        [then I list my other folder-hooks underneath]

and at the bottom of the file

        folder-hook . 'push <tab>'

What that does is to list all the folders at the bottom of the index
view with new mail in the buffy-list each time I change to a new folder.
I also have buffy-list bound to <tab> as well so if I want to check the
buffy-list again when in the index view I just press <tab>.

Are you still having problems getting mutt to tell you what mailboxes
have new mail in them?

No it works fine now. Just trying out a couple of shell scripts
similar to Andre's, but much simpler:

mailboxes.sh:
##########################
#!/bin/sh

set -e
MAILDIR="/home/david/mail"
HOSTNAME="blackswan"

for f in $(find $MAILDIR -name "*," -o -name "*$HOSTNAME" | cut -d'/' -f5 | \
   sort -u | sed 's/^\.//')
do
   if [ "$f" == "new" ] || [ "$f" == "cur" ]; then
       f="INBOX"
   fi
   echo -n " +"$f
done

It seems to be working fine but for some reason I'm unable to bind it to a
macro in browser:

macro browser z "|~/.mutt/mailboxes.sh\n"

This just tells me that key is unbound, and I've tried it elsewhere like index,
which works, but I'd rather have it in browser where I'm actually looking at
the mailboxes.