On 12.02.13 13:57, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 11Feb2013 15:40, Will Yardley <mutt-us...@veggiechinese.net> wrote:
> | Also, an off-list copy that you receive, but CCd to the list, will not
> | have the rfc2369 headers, which mnight explain the inconsistent behavior
> | that one user mentioned.
>
> Indeed. That goes both ways of course; this can happen if the list is in
> To: and the recipient is in CC:.

It has been particularly annoying that in either case the directly
addressed copy arrives first, so that it is always the list copy which
goes into duplicates. That resulted in list mail in the personal folder.
But none of this is hard to fix.

In procmail, using the ^TO_ macro and the List-Post address, instead of ^From,
fixes it so that whether To-ed or CC-ed, the first copy to arrive goes to the
list folder. Then the duplicates rule snaffles the latecomer, and there's no
pollution of the personal folder. The thread in the list folder is
complete.

                                       # Collapse duplicate messages, but not my
   :0 Whc: msgid.lock                  # posts that I've BCCed, for testing.
   * !^From: Erik Christiansen
   | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache
                                       # And save duplicates, in case of recipe
   :0 a:                               # flaws below. (See man procmailex)
   duplicates

   :0:
   * ^TO_luv-main@.*whatever.domain
   luv-main

That has served my needs for some time now. YMMV.

Erik

--
Do not do unto others as you would they should do unto you.
Their tastes may not be the same.