On Mi, 26 Feb 2014, Peter P. wrote:

> * Patrick Shanahan <ptilopt...@gmail.com> [2014-02-26 17:23]:
> > * Peter P. <p8...@aol.com> [02-26-14 10:48]:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I have noticed that I can delete ("save to trash folder") the same
> > > message over and over again using,
> > >
> > >     folder-hook . 'macro index d "<save-message>=Trash \r"
> > >     folder-hook . 'macro pager d "<save-message>=Trash \r"
> > >
> > > even after it has been marked as deleted. I end up with mutiple
> > > accidental copies in the trash this way. Is there a way to
> > > incoorporate the status/flag of a message as conditional for the above
> > > key binding to only allow saving to trash if the message is not marked
> > > as 'deleted'?
> >
> > You need "sync-mailbox" after the save_to_tash.  As long as you remain in
> > the same mailbox, destructive actions aside from editing are not applied
> > until you close, move to another, or sync the mailbox.
>
> Thank you for the reply Patrick, I would prefer to not sync/expunge
> the mailbox after every "copy to trash" key shortcut.
> Perhaps there is a way to make key commands aware of a message's flag
> instead.

I see three possibilities.

- Instead of deleting the actual messages you tag them and on a key
  press, you move all tagged, not-deleted messages to your Archive/Trash
  folder. Something like this (untested):

   macro index,pager d
<tag-pattern>!~D~T<enter><tag-prefix-cond><save-message><kill-line>=Trash<enter><untag-pattern>~A<enter>
 'Delete messages'

- Add an folder hook, to delete duplicate messages (something like
  this):
   folder-hook =Trash 'push
<untag-pattern>~A<enter><tag-pattern>~=<enter><tag-prefix-cond><delete-message><untag-pattern>~A<enter><sync-mailbox><enter>'

- Use the trash folder patch, that is floating around and even provided
  in some distributions like Debians mutt-patched, IIRC

Best,
Christian
--
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.