On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 06:33:40PM +0000, John Long wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 03:19:55PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > I have been using mutt for many, many years with a local (Unix style)
> > mail spool.  Mail is delivered to my system by SMTP (postfix locally).
> >
> > At the moment to access my mail remotely I ssh into the server and run
> > mutt.
>
> I suspect many people do this. I do this.
>
> > This works well in general but there are some disadvantages, in
> > particular the 'v' command to access and view HTML, PDF and other
> > graphical attachments doesn't work because, of course, there's no GUI
> > access to the machine where I'm reading the mail.
>
> Do you not have X-forwarding set or is there some other problem? I have a
> shell account that doesn't allow X forwarding so maybe you're in a situation
> like that. If it's your box it might be worth changing one line in the sshd
> config.

I could connect with X forwarding but I don't really see how it would
help.  I just tried it with an HTML E-Mail, it doesn't find the file
because it sees Firefox already running on the local machine and tries
to use that.  Also Firefox across an internet connection is impossibly
slow.

> > It's also a bit annoying simply saving attachments and then realising
> > they're on the remote machine.
>
> scp or rsync the file to your local box? Presumably you are reading mail
> from a remote box for other reasons that are beneficial, or maybe you should
> just run it locally.

Yes, if I really need to see what's in the file I do rsync it across
but for the casual look at something that's a lot of hassle.  I'm
reading remotely usually because I'm a long way away, e.g. in London
(home is Suffolk) or on a boat in France.

> > So, I'm wondering if using IMAP would make my life easier.  I would
> > run Dovecot I expect.  If I do this do things become more transparent
> > to a remote mutt?
>
> I don't see how IMAP helps. What exactly is the difference in terms of how
> you read mail and where the apps run as opposed to POP? The only thing IMAP
> does it make you rely on a remote mail server. I never use IMAP unless they
> don't serve POP. I know one mail provider that doesn't honor POP delete
> requests so to avoid leaving 100,000 emails on their server that I can't
> delete I use IMAP with them. Everywhere else, POP. I'd rather rely on my own
> email storage.

I wondered if, when using IMAP, mutt will store the temporary HTML for
passing to Firefox on the local machine rather than the remote
machine.  One would expect it to somehow.

> > E.g. if I want to view an HTML E-Mail in Firefox (default browser)
> > instead of within mutt (using lynx) can I just do 'v' followed by
> > selecting the HTML attachment as I would when running mutt locally on
> > the machine where mail is hosted?
>
> Maybe. I don't see why not. Presumably if an X app starts and you have
> forwarding set it should just work. Personally any HTML mail I can't read in
> mutt gets binned. If I get documents like PDFs I just save them on /tmp on
> the remote box and then use a PDF reader over X.

No, as I said I just tried it and it doesn't work because Firefox is
too clever and uses the local Firefox rather than the remote one so the
file is in the wrong place.

--
Chris Green