Hi Ian!

On So, 10 Mai 2015, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> 2. Mailman managed lists (and maybe others) insert the annoying [Foo-List]
> tags in the Subject header.  Other MUAs allow one to massage the Subject
> header (for display only) so as to hide the tag, and (again) save screen
> space.  Is this possible with mutt?  Should it be?

For the index view, you can achieve this with a custom index_format like
this:

set index_format="mutt_index.sh '%s' |"

where mutt_index.sh looks like this:

#v+
~$ cat mutt_index.sh
#!/bin/sh

default='%4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15L (%?l?%4l&%4c?)'
subject="$(echo "$1" | sed -e 's/\[[^]]*\] *//')"

printf "%s%s%%\n" "$default $subject"
~$
#v-

Note, the trailing '%' sign, this makes sure, mutt will resolve the
returned '%' expandos from the returned string.

For the display view, a display_filter setting should achieve this. I
think, t-prot http://www.escape.de/~tolot/mutt/ does this among others.

Or you could simply use another sed script as $display_filter command
and filter those tags from the subject line.

regards,
Christian
--
Lensmen eat Jedi for breakfast.