Am 2015-06-18 12:23, schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
Hello, mutt.

I'm using mutt 1.5.23.

The default value of the configuration variable index_format is

    "%4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15L (%?l?%4l&%4c?) %s".

My personal value is similar.  The construct "(%?l?%4l&%4c?)" puzzles
me.  The parentheses are literal characters, but what do all the ?s
mean? In practice, this displays the number of lines in the email, what
one would expect from a simple %l.  I also have the feeling that the &
is not a literal character either.  What does it mean?

I've looked in the manual, at the section documenting index_format, but
the ?s aren't explained there.  I've also checked the printf(3) man
page, but there isn't a single ? in it.

Elucidation would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

This is described briefly in the manual below status_format:

<snip>
You can also switch between two strings using the following construct:

%?<sequence_char>?<if_string>&<else_string>?

If the value of sequence_char is non-zero, if_string will be expanded, otherwise else_string will be expanded.
</snip>

Best,
Christian