On 2015-11-19 22:51 +0100, Wim de With wrote:

> I configured Thunderbird to override the name in the From: header with
> the name associated with that email address in my address book. I
> would like to do the same in Mutt. Is there any way to replace the
> author's name in Mutt's index view with a shell script instead of
> using the options of the index_format configuration option?

You don't need to write a script for that.  Mutt will display the "real
name" automatically for addresses in your alias list.  Define aliases in
your .muttrc as follows:

alias Foo Foo Bar <foo...@bars.name>

and now incoming mails from foo...@bars.name will have "Foo Bar" in the
origin field.

If you insist on using an address list in some other format such as
Thunderbird's, consider automatically converting the other format into
mutt's.