Hello,
I was able to see the cat and the mouse in K9/Android, but not in
mutt under Debian/stretch running in an xterm. However, while I write
this reply using emacs as my editor, I see the codes 01F 40B and 01F
401, so I guess the characters were not removed by mutt, but my system
is lacking the fonts to display them.

🐋 🐁

Regards,
Luis

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 08:08:23AM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i found the below utf-8 string in perl6 examples and thought that it would be
> good test in a signature - I immediatly found my own mutt wouldnt display it.
> see it correctly in vim editing the mail. Locale is UTF-8, everythings fine. I
> send the email and find the utf8 characters in the mail display to be removed.
>
> I am currently puzzled to why and where this happens. As i dont
> see garbage characters my impression is that the encoding is
> correct but some tool in the processing path removes the characters
> for beeing malicious or not in the display font or whatever.
>
> I do see the correct output with k9 mail on android though ...
>
> I checked that mutt correctly detects utf-8 locales.
>
> This happens with mutt 1.5.24-1 Debian/Jessie and
> 1.5.20-9+squeeze4 on Debian/Squeeze.
>
> Flo
> --
> Florian Lohoff                                             f...@zz.de
>           UTF-8 Test: The 🐈 ran after a 🐁, but the 🐁 ran away

W. Luis Mochán,                      | tel:(52)(777)329-1734     /<(*)
Instituto de Ciencias Físicas, UNAM  | fax:(52)(777)317-5388     `>/   /\
Apdo. Postal 48-3, 62251             |                           (*)/\/  \
Cuernavaca, Morelos, México          | moc...@fis.unam.mx   /\_/\__/
GPG: 791EB9EB, C949 3F81 6D9B 1191 9A16  C2DF 5F0A C52B 791E B9EB